Tooth extractions are among the most common dental procedures. They might be necessary if a tooth is severely decayed or damaged. A tooth extraction can have major benefits for your overall oral health by removing bacteria in the mouth. Once the gums have healed, we offer a range of restorative dentistry to replace the tooth with a combination of dental implants, dental bridges, and more.
Knowing what to expect can make the process less intimidating. Below are our tips for what to plan before your appointment and guidance on proper aftercare.
Before Coming In
If you plan on having a tooth extracted, there are steps you can take before coming in to make the procedure smooth and simple.
- For peace of mind, we encourage questions about the procedure. Make a list of anything you would like to ask the dentist before coming in for your appointment. We’re here to share knowledge and ease any fears you might have.
- Bring a list of your medications and any notes on your oral history, which can be useful to us during your treatment and aftercare recommendations. A previous history can give us insight into your oral health, and some conditions can affect your susceptibility to infection. Depending on your history, we’ll make a plan to give you the best care.
- Understanding your insurance and benefits is always important before undergoing a procedure like a tooth extraction. We encourage you to call us or review our finances and insurance page for information on payment plans, accepted insurance, and any other useful information to ease the cost of tooth extraction.
After tooth extraction, the area will be sensitive while it heals. Proper aftercare is essential to promote quick, safe healing and prevent infection. We’ll review aftercare with you during your appointment, but here is more information so you know what to expect.
- Avoid using a straw, rinsing your mouth, or spitting. These can cause bleeding to occur or a possible dry socket.
- Eat soft, easy-to-chew foods. We recommend yogurt, protein drinks, soups, and smoothies to keep your mouth clean and healthy while it heals.
- We’ll prescribe medication to treat any pain or swelling that might occur after your treatment. Take the recommended dosage and follow up with our office if there are any questions or issues.
We know a tooth extraction can be intimidating, but at Eagle Dental we take your comfort and peace of mind seriously. We offer sedation options to ease your treatment and our caring, experienced team is there to answer any questions and ensure you have proper aftercare to heal painlessly and safely. Don’t wait if you’re experiencing tooth pain. Get in contact with us at Eagle Dental and schedule an appointment today.